Tuesday, May 5, 2009

What's new

I know it's been a while. I've been thinking. A lot. Anyone whose been around me in last year knows I've been walking like an eighty year old. The good news is that I'm not eighty, but the bad news is that my back has some serious issues. I have a degenerative condition that led to one of my vertabrea breaking and sliding forward, way out of place, smashing two discs and doing nerve damage. Lovely.

So, it seems that surgery in the very near future is inevitable. It'll be a doozy. I'm not even sure how to tackle it: one week in the hospital, two-three weeks of needing help taking care of myself (let alone my family) and two more months of daily help with the kids. All in all, it will take six months for the bone to heal, three months before I can lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk and a lifetime of being careful with my back. Blah.

On the bright side, after the six months is over, I'll be able to do things I can't even think about now without hurting. And I'll be like bionic woman.

So, send some positive vibes this way. And a few prayers too.

4 comments:

AMS said...

Send the kids down this way for like a month or so!!!

Cheryl said...

Liz... I feel your pain.. Having had 2 back surgeries, the last one with hardware placed I totally understand! It will be a tough recovery, but it was definitely worth it in the long run! I can't imagine doing it with kids, if you ever need someone to take your kids, I live in SLC, and would be more than happy to help out. Who is your surgeon?

Julie said...

Elizabeth, you will be in my prayers. I know your kids don't know me, but I would be happy to come down any evening or weekend to help out! Please call me I really would like to help! 801-628-7438...Love you guys...wow a bionic women...it will be worth it, this to shall pass :)

Bonny said...

Wish I could help. My back is bad too but obviously not as bad as yours. I still need to get together with you. Not sure when. Baby is here in 12 days!