It shouldn't surprise anyone who knows us that we don't have a name picked out yet. We do, however, have a short list that we may end up ignoring. Duran wanted to post a poll to see which name everyone liked best but I thought that a bad idea because inevitably we would choose to name the baby the name that everyone liked least. I think a "don't ask, don't tell" policy is best when it comes to baby names. After all, parents don't really want to know if you hate the name they've picked for their child. So, in the end if we choose a ridiculous name we hope you smile and say "She's such a cute baby" or "Aren't you glad to finally have her here?" or some other comment that requires you to neither lie nor be abrassively frank.
It's not that Duran and I are indecisive--we just don't see eye-to-eye on what to name a child. Duran has quite a few "naming peramiters" that must be followed (I can't blame him, after all he does have a super cool name--however, it sets a high standard that is hard to meet : )) I have some too--the usual: can't be the name of someone I've known and not liked, must not be a villian in a disney movie or bad guy in the scriptures (can you imagine being named Malificent, Hook, Cain, Jezabel, Korihor, or Judas? Eeek!). It would be nice if the name had a particular meaning too--like Asher (Hebrew for happy or happiness) but it's okay if not as long as it's a stellar name like Allie : )
We do agree that this baby will not have an "A" name. We didn't plan on a theme, we just like Allie and Asher. Not that there is anything wrong with families who name all of their children names starting with the same letter, but it does seem that super-large families seem to do this frequently and after the 12th child it's a pretty big stretch to come up with another "J" name. The poor 17th child gets stuck with something like"Jello" or "JJJr." (not short for anything, just the letters and not really named after a Sr).
Thursday, April 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment